Next Race: (Deanne)

November, 2009

Ironman Florida

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Bracebridge Half Ironman


Bracebridge Half Ironman
Race Positives: nutrition was fabulous
To work on: speed in the swim, speed on the bike, speed on the run
Harder focussed training days

To say the least this race was adventurous and challenging and just not a great race for me, regardless of the result.
The Swim:
The weather seemed ok for the swim and dispite some poor sighting on my behalf, I pulled through and was the 42nd person out of the water.
The Bike:
About 15 minutes into the 90km bike, the sky opened up with the biggest clap of thunder I think I have ever heard. I swear it was like two hands came down above my head and smashed together. At that point I knew I was in for a long ride. Dispite the rain, which felt as though it was piercing my skin, and poor visibility, I managed to finish the bike in 3hours and 2minutes. A little dissapointing to be honest but that just gives me something to focus on.
The Run:
On the positive side, the rain had stopped and the sun was coming out. It was going to be great....at least I thought. The transition into the run was extremely difficult as I had to make a quick decision as to whether or not I should put wet socks on my feet for the run or to go sockless. I chose sockless. My shoes were actually filled with water that I dumped over my feet to clean off the dirt, threw on my shoes and took off. Within the first 500 meters I knew I was doomed. I felt the blisters start to form. In an attempt to ease the pain I took some advil along with a stress tablet. It didn't help. I continued to run, singing songs in my head to focus on anything other than the pain. The sun was scorching. So much for thinking it be better....I definitely could have used the rain. Just short of two hours later I finished the grueling 21 km run and headed straight for the medical tent, my shoes filled with blood. She cleaned them up and I headed out to stretch. Minus my feet, I felt as though I was already recovered.

I headed to the results board and to my surprise finished:

2nd in my age group; 12/62 females; 57/190 total people
and
I qualified for the 2010 ITU World Long Distance Championships in Immenstadt Germany!

That's all for my report. I'll write again real soon.

Dee

4 comments:

Tyler Lord said...

Tough day at the office! Now get on that tri bike and save 40 watts per km!!!

All the best with Training

Niki Devereaux said...

Congrats Deanne, that's incredible! Evan told me about it and I felt SO bad for you and your poor feet.

Huge congrats for qualifying for Germany. I've already offered my 'administrative & translation' services if you guys needed someone to accompany you?! :)

Anonymous said...

Great work Dee :)I knew you were tough enough to handle something like that. Congratulations on qualifying! It only prepares you more for the big show!

See you soon.

Sammy

Deanne Hiscock said...

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragment!

Hopefully the feet will be ready to do some training tomorrow.